Getting pain in leg. Found lipoma in ultrasonography. How to treat this?

Sep 2012

Ultrasonography of the left buttock taken 2nd January 2013
Picture compatible with lipoma left in gluten measuring 2.10 x1, 80 x 0.7 and 1.2 cm XXXXXXX I strongly suspect that it is touching the sciatic nerve and is causing me a strong pain in my left leg all the way down.
Who can remove this lipoma?

Thank you -XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the lipoma you described, is too small to touch the sciatic nerve. Still, you should first go for excision. Sometimes, in ultrasonography, it is difficult to differentiate between lipoma and some other soft tissue swelling. So, a pathological examination should be done on the excised tissue.

Regarding the back pain, which radiates to leg, may be caused due to some other reason. There are many disease condition which can cause this type of pain. But, in your case, I think there is neuromuscular problem. For this, you should consult with an orthopedic surgeon for a thorough clinical examination in the search of any definite cause and for further management.

For the present situation, you should consult with a general surgeon for surgical removal of the lipoma.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.