Getting pain between shoulder blade, neck and back. What is the cause and required cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My girlfriend has a sharp pain between her right shoulder blade and her spine starting from the neck and going across to the tip of the shoulder and then back down to the middle back and up forming a triangle. The entire muscle area is extremely tender. She bartends with this arm and has had a few problems previously but none this bad. When she puts her hand behind her back as if to undo her bra with her left hand her shoulder blade pops out normally but it does not with her right hand in the same position. It is as if the blade is being held down. She says it feels like she needs to "pop" it. She is going to see a chiropractor tomorrow and getting an x-ray, adjustment, and 50 minute massage but I am hoping I can find something out now. It has been hurting badly for about a week. What can cause this? What can we do about it? Is heat or cold better?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 34 minutes later
Hi and Welcome ,

It seems that she had a muscle sprain in her neck.
Try doing either ice or hot pack treatments to loosen up the muscles. Get a XXXXXXX tissue massage on the neck and upper back area.

Is she getting a sharp pain between your spine and shoulder blade along with tightness and pain in the neck and numbness and tingling in your fingers? here are points in deeper neck and shoulder muscles that are irritated, making it feel like a nerve is pinched. Trigger point therapy will help release and flush them out, hopefully bringing her some relief.

Diagnosis can be confirmed only by a proper physical examination and with the help of few investigations like:
1. X-ray Cervical Spine, lateral and PA view.
2. MRI Cervical Spine.

So I suggest her to consult a Orthopedic Surgeon for the proper examination and confirmation of the diagnosis.

1. Physiotherapy - To learn exercises to do at home.
2. Analgesics (pain killers).
3. Pay attention to your posture, repetitive actions and sleeping habits.
4.Till then you can use a cervical collar for relief.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.