Getting knee pain while walking. Need to do needed another TKR. Duration for the complete cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My wife had tkr in july 2012. Everything was fine for about 6 weeks. Then , while walking down a couple of steps, she felt herself falling and twisted to avoid landing on the knee that was operated on.
She had a lot of pain and the doctor said the ligament was stretched and should rest it for a month and wear a brace. This not help. He then said she needed another TKR(revision) using a ligament from a cadaver and rods and staples which were to be put in the tibia and femur. After this operation was done she had therapy. However she still has pain in the lower portion of the tibia where the rod ends. The doctor says it will take a long time(possibly 1 or 2 years) to get better and she should not over do things.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Considering your wife's age and osteoporosis, the recovery after a major surgery like TKR and then revision procedure is a slow process.
Persistent pain, stiffness and swelling of the knee after such a procedure is a common finding. The complete healing of surgical wounds and XXXXXXX soft tissues at least takes six months with regular pain relief medications and regular physiotherapy sessions.

The recovery is considered when the pain and swelling improves much beyond the arthritic pre-op pain level and dysfunction.
If the replaced knee is stable clinically then continued pain medications and regular physiotherapy will take care of the symptoms.

Do a hot fomentation at least thrice daily and elevate the leg. By “elevate,” I mean having the feet higher than the hips.
If there is a sharp pain that was not there before, especially after exercise or physical therapy, there may be an inflammation in the muscles or ligaments. Be sure to make an appointment with the doctor if this happens.
Wearing a compression stocking that goes above the knee can also help.
As the healing progresses and the knee gets stronger, the swelling and pain will diminish. At this point she can use single point cane to better handle the pain.
Regular physical therapy will help in taking care of the symptoms after the acute pain subsides.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting knee pain while walking. Need to do needed another TKR. Duration for the complete cure? 13 hours later

Thanks for your quick response.
I understand the pain in the knee area. However,
her major area of pain is the part of the leg near the ankle, where the rod in the tibia ends. What causes that pain and will it get better?
THank you
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain near the ankle can be due to the inflammation in the area or position of the rod placed. It is likely to subside with mild pain killers over time. To rule out any pathology, a physical examination and investigations like CT scan will be of help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.