Getting irregular periods after child birth. What could be causing this?

May 2013
I have a worry with my periods.
I had a baby 6 months ago. Lately I have been getting a period very frequently for bout the last month. I have had two periods this month. I had 2 last month. This is really unusual for me, they are usually very regular. What could be causing this?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for your problem are,

-usually there will be amenorrhea in lactating mother for few months after that it will take sometime for regularization of periods, during that time some amount of menstrual irregularities can be seen,

-placental causes ranging from retained bits to rare causes like chorionic tumors may be responsible for irregular bleeding after delivery sometimes,

-if contraceptive methods are not followed during lactational period there is chance for pregnancy and miscarriage,

-zoloft which is used as a anti-depressant can cause menstrual irregularities as uncommon side effect.

so you consult gynecologist once and undergo physical examination, ultrasound and if needed beta HCG levels which will possibly find out the cause and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.