Getting heat flashes. Related to menstrual cycles?

I am only 18 but throughout the day I get heat flashes, sometimes 3-4 times a day. I don't know what's causing them nor how to make them go away. Am I having some sort of post menopause of some sort?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 15 minutes later

Thanks for your query. I will be very happy to help you if you give me the following details:

1)How is your menstrual cycles?
2)Do you get heat or cold intolerance?
3)Does these symptoms increase during your menstrual cycles?
4)Do you have any urinary or bowel complaints?
5)Do you have male type hair growth or change in voice?
6)What is your BMI? Or else can you let me know your Height and Weight?
7)Do you get evening rise of temperature or do you have chronic cough?
8)When did you get your last Blood pressure checked?

Please let me know the above details, so that I can help you better.

Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Follow-up: Getting heat flashes. Related to menstrual cycles? 1 hour later
1. Regular
2. Heat
3. Not really
4. No
5. No
6. 5" - about 180 lbs
7. If it's the same thing as night sweats then sometimes, I would get hot and have the cover on part of my body with a fan on so the rest of my body can cool
8. Either late last year or early this year
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 32 minutes later
Thank you for the reply. If this complaint is recent onset it could be a Thyroid abnormality, hence I suggest you undergo few basic investigation: 1)Haemoglobin, Total count, differential counts and ESR- this will rule out any infection.
2)Thyroid function tests-free T3,T4 and TSH
3)Blood sugar examination
Most common cause for hot flashes in your age group with normal menstrual cycles is THYROID abnormalities. Do not get anxious, if you are thinking of POF-premature ovarian failure, its HIGHLY IMPOSSIBLE.
One more suggestion is be relaxed, calm, don't get anxious, eat lot of vegetables and Soya products.. reduce your weight. take multivitamin tablets for 1-2 months daily.