Getting headache with severe itching and burning in neck after head injury. What's wrong?

Allergist and Immunologist
I got hit on the top of my head by a vase falling on me off a shelf. It didn't break because it had thick glass. I have a slight headache now but not as bad as it was before. When I went to lay down on my side though I suddenly got extreme itchiness and burning in my neck--mainly just on my left side and now it looks like it got sunburned. I haven't ate any new foods or anything like that and its winter here so its not poison ivy.
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

I am not exactly sure what the time difference is between the vase falling on your head and headache to the itchiness and burning in your neck.
Of course, if the headache continues and you feel ill in any way or have any other symptoms (such as blood from the nostrils etc), a CT scan of the head would be important to exclude any major trauma to the head.

If not, what I think your query is whether you are allergic to any of the components of the vase that led to the itchiness and burning sensation. If there were any flowers or oils inside the vase that came in contact with your body, and the itching starting within a few minutes or within the hour, then allergy is likely.
You then must ensure you have washed off the chemicals or contents that spilled on your body with water (preferably soap and warm water), apply a calamine lotion to soothe the area.
You can also take oral antihistamines like cetirizine or levocetirizine 2 tablets (10mg cetzine or 5mg levocetzine) that should work in 30 minutes.
If course there are any burns on your body, then you must visit the ER (or A&E) immediately.

I hope this was useful.
Best Wishes.