Getting headache on one side of head. What am I suffering from?

hi i often got headache on one side of my head (mostly right side) on very small matters or little things. may be little things or small matter give me stress. can you pls help me into this matter.
thank you!!
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 12 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your problem

Let me tell you that the causes of headache are many and it can be due to migraine, tension headache, brain tumor/infection/bleed etc.

Back to you, the possibilities are 1. migraine headache 2 tension headache
Both these are the diagnosis of exclusion. I mean the other treatable conditions need to be excluded before these diagnosis are made. Please note that migraine is often precipitated by stress.

A strict one sided headache need evaluation before you receive treatment for either of these possibilities. A CT scan will be better and it will help us rule out any of the secondary causes as I have listed above. A local neurologist will help you in this regard

If the scan is normal, you will benefit with regular food and sleep habit, relaxation technique, avoidance of any other provoking factor. Medications that will help reduce he headache are amitriptiline, nortrpitioline, valproate, propranolol etc

Hope this clarifies
Please let me in case you have any other questions in this issue

Best wishes
Dr Gopal K Dash MD, DM, Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epilepsy specialist XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore
My Blog in the Web site: