Getting bruise easily, started severe hair fall. Blood test done. What is going on?

There's been a few odd things going on with me lately and I don't know if they are all connected, but here we go. I've always bruised easily, but it's getting progressively worse. I did have a blood test done and my platelet count was 100 (which I was told is below normal limits but nothing to be alarmed about.) My immune system has been awful, my boyfriend gets a cold and he is over it in 3-4 days. I get it from him and I am sick for weeks. My hair has been starting to fall out more than normal as well. Those are the main 3 things going on…
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 18 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I understand your concern but before I am able to give a possible reason for the easy bruising I would like to know more facts:
1. What has been the result of the bleeding and clotting profile, if it has been done? What are the values?
2. Has a clinical Hess test (toruniquet test) been performed on you?
3. What are the blood counts - total, differential? You have given the platelet count.
4. Why was cervical cone biopsy done? What was the result of the biopsy?
5. Why was pelvic vein embolization done?
The answers to these queries will guide me to give answers to the three things that are disturbing you.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Getting bruise easily, started severe hair fall. Blood test done. What is going on? 1 hour later
1. I was having routine blood work and no further blood work was done. I was told "not to worry unless my platelet count was under 50.

2. No

3. N/A

4. I had precancerous cerivival cells that had become XXXXXXX All future Pap smears have been normal; however I am overdue for one now by a month.

5. I was diagnosed with pelvic congestion after severe pain and numerous tests, MRI, ct scan etc.

I'm thinking I need to go back to my primary and ask for more testing. . .
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for the update.

Bruising can be due to two reasons:
1. Problem in the vessels.
2. Problem in the clotting mechanism.
It is for this reason the clinical toruniquet test is essential as also details of the bleeding and clotting profile, the details of which, unfortunately, are not available for perusal.

Yes, you need not worry about the platelet count till it comes below 50,000/cu. mm.

It shall be better you request your primary physician to investigate you on the lines that I have suggested so that the picture becomes more clear.

Immune system of every individual is different and in the same scenario can give different results. Hence, you seem to get more diet and/or supplements.

The falling of hair is a constant process. However, there are phases when they fall more than at other times. Unless areas of baldness appear you need not worry about the excessive fall of hair.

I hope I have clarified your doubts to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.