Getting blood in the stool. Done with sigmadoscopy. What are the findings?

My nephew is getting blood in the stool from last 1 year. We have get the sigmadoscopy. The reports are attached after the treatment. Kindly confirm why the stool was coming & now what are the result of examination. The complete history & report is attached.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX

Your nephew was suffering from Juvenile polyposis syndrome.This is a condition where there is abnormal growth in the inner membrane of intestine .In your nephew's case there was a single in the rectum(the area from where stool is passed).

Since it was a single and benign I.e non cancerous you can relax now.For your information had it been multiple then the chances of it becoming cancerous in future was 9-50% .

Such polyps run in family hence the other close members should also get screened I.e tested especially his siblings.In future he will be fine and have no blood in stools but will have to be monitored yearly for recurrence.

Hope to have answered your query.kindly get back if you need clarifications.

Take Care.