Get palpitations every 5 to 10 mins. What to do?

Cardiologist
Question
i get palpitations alot, it feels like my heart skips beats then restarts, it very scary and can make me feel strange, i had a baby 12 days ago, i am having at least 1 palpitation every 5-10 mins, dont feel as many when im walking about but i d feel them sometimes. what could this be
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello Ma'm
1. Most of the palpitations are "premature contractions" only. They are usually present in a large part of population and are not recognized even. The work-up of palpitation involve getting an ECG at the time of palpitation to ascertain the rhythm abnormality at the time of palpitation. Sometime we have to get holter monitoring (24 hour ECG recording) to ascertain the rhythm, if we cannot pick it up on ECG.
Once we get premature contractions on ECG or holter , next step is to get an ECHO done to rule out structural heart disease. If there is no structural heart disease (which is not there in majority of patients), there is nothing to worry. Only a single drug can take care of them.
2. Palpitations are increased by tea/coffee/ stress/ bronchitis/alcohol/ thyroid disorder/ certain type of drugs. Please see if you have started a new drug. Even the lung clot may be associated with premature contractions and other causes of palpitation.
3. If you have associated difficulty in breathing, chest pain, blackouts, giddiness, please see your doctor on priority.
4. I would like you to see your GP for the necessary work-up. But do not worry much if you do not have any symptoms mentioned in para 3.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
sukhvinder XXXXXXX