Get numbness in shoulder area and when riding bike both arms and hands go numb. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor,
Every morning at around 4 am I wake up with a numbness in my right shoulder area.
When I ride my bike both arms and hands go numb during a ride after about 10 minutes
on the bike
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of numbness of the shoulder area.

1) The first possibility is of vitamin B 12 deficiency which is more pronounced if you are a vegetarian. You need to get the levels of vitamin B12 done to rule out this possibility.

2) The second possibility at your age is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes numbness in the extremities.
To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3) The third possibility is of a spinal cause . Any spinal cause in the cervical spine may be associated with numbness in the hands and shoulder. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI cervical spine done after consulting a neurologist.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are sources of vitamin B 12. You can also take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.