Get lightheaded frequently. Blood work is normal. Underlying cause?

General Surgeon
I am constant lightheaded... I was at the store today and all of a sudden I was lightheaded, felt faint like, like my head goes numb, but didn't faint. I get it several times a day... What could it hemoglobin is 14.1. Bloodwork is all normal.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
TIA has to be excluded by your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX ! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Did you have similar attacks any time earlier ?

This could be either an attack of migraine, or may be some more important manifestation of transient ischemic attacks, in which the blood supply to any part of the brain might be reduced suddenly due to a small clot originated from any other source. This might be very minute, and so it dissolves of its own and the symptoms vanish. This is what is known as T!A.

I hope your bloodwork must have included the blood sugar estimation and a thyroid profile , and if not done, please get it done as routine. Also please get your blood pressure checked.
If these are normal, then I would suggest you go for a complete cardiac check up iincluding a carotid doppler to rule out any pathological process promoting clot formation over there.

I am hopeful that these information will help you in discussing with your family physician on these issues so that you can be investigated in detail to arrive at a diagnosis. If you want to clear any more doubts on it, you are welcome.

Thanks for using health care magic forum for your problems on health . Good luck.

Follow-up: Get lightheaded frequently. Blood work is normal. Underlying cause? 5 hours later
I asked if Tia and he said no. He checked my carotid with stethoscope and said it was normal. They blame anxiety.. I had MRI of brain done 2 years ago and sait was normal.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stethoscope can detect an advanced stenosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX! Good evening. Good to have your feedback.

Stethoscope can detect a bruit (audible thrill) only when the artery is narrowed to a great extent. Deposition of any clot in its initial stage will be possible only with a Doppler ultrasound of the vessel or an MRI. So I will still be firm in my stand to go for a Doppler of carotid arteries if such symptoms are recurring with you.

It is good that the MRI of your brain was normal 2 years back, but you have not mentioned for what complaint of yours the MRI was done.

I will attribute your symptoms to anxiety,only if all the physical examination and investigation reports come out to be normal and there is no doubt of any organic problem including migraine.

In case all the investigation reports comes out to be normal which is rather a good aspect of it, but your symptoms continue to bother, I will in that case suggest you to take appointment with a neurologist in your area to have more clarity of your problem.

Thanks and good luck.
Follow-up: Get lightheaded frequently. Blood work is normal. Underlying cause? 8 minutes later
Ok thanks. I went for MRI because of that... They found sinus disease which I never have problems with. Forgot to mention when my head goes numb so does my whole body for a few seconds then I get the fast heartbeat after that and then I am fine. I feel them coming because I get anxious right before the episode. I thought Tia it affects half your body plus other symptoms.. My cholesterol is also low under 150. My dad had carotid is it hereditary? He was a heavy smoker but I don't smoke.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly it is an attack of migraine.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! It is nice to hear from you so soon.

No - Carotid disease is not supposed to be hereditary, but it has to be excluded in your case with investigations.

Now that you have mentioned about the period of aura (that is knowing and becoming anxious before an episode), the suspicion goes more in favour of migraine which is also anxiety related and also is chronic for which you had an MRI earlier. This will be the most probable diagnosis if all other investigations including a X XXXXXXX of the cervical spine to exclude a cervical spondylitis comes out to be normal. In that case I would advise you to take appointment with a neurologist in your area who will be the one to solve your problem.

I hope the information provided by me will be helpful your decision for further action in this regard. I was anyways a nice interaction with you. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.