Gastric bypass. On xanax, sipralexa. IMC done. History of HTA and asthma. Risks of gastric bypass surgery?

Hello. I would like to have a gastric bypass. My IMC is 45 (138 kg/175 cm). But I'm afraid of the anesthesia
because HTA + asthma. Is it XXXXXXX (the asthma) ? Moreover, I'm taking xanax 0,5 and Sipralexa 10 mg (escitalopram). What are the risks of this surgery ? Thank you
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding your Asthma it is important that you discuss with with the Anesthesiologist prior to the procedure. As long as he is aware they can make adjustments to closely monitor you during the surgery.

The Anesthesiologist has many tools to minimize exacerbations of the Asthma in the form of medications as well as inhaled preparations which will protect your airway during the procedure.

Risks of the surgery are otherwie standard and include bleeding, infection and pain. In the event of bleeding this is easily handled with a transfusion. Transfusion is unlikely in this procedure and blood loss should not be very much. Your doctors will give you medications to take care of infection if you need it as well.

I am sure you will do well with the procedure and afterward as well.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my reponse to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga