Gall bladder attacks, taken Buscopan and apple juice, no fever, nausea, normal stools, pain in right side below rib cage

Hi this is XXXXXXX I have had 3 gall bladder attacks in less than a week the latest one is ongoing I have drunk XXXXXXX juice and XXXXXXX cider vinegar with no relief, taken buscopan with not relief, I do not have a fever and I am not jaundiced just pain in my right side below the rib cage and generating towards my back. I woke up with this latest episode around 2am this morning and the pain has eased slightly but not disappered. I also feel nausea but have not vomitted, stoles are regular and normal colour.
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Gall stones pain is often severe and spasmodic. To ease the acute pain, anti spasmodic like buscopan or drotaverine are recommended. Since you have already taken a dose of buscopan, you can repeat the dose after 4 hours.
Meanwhile doing a hot fomentation in the area and avoiding any fat containing meal will be of help. The pain is likely to subside over 8-12 hours with adequate rest.
Avoid alcohol at all costs.
To avoid the recurrence you may consult your physician or gastroenterologist for definitive specific treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Gall bladder attacks, taken Buscopan and apple juice, no fever, nausea, normal stools, pain in right side below rib cage 12 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX Tayal,

Thankyou for your information. As we are working in Quebec the cost of seeing a Doctor here is very expensive and I will be consulting my own doctor and specialist when I get home to NZ in about 4 months.

This attack has lasedt some 20 plus hours but am hoping I am on the mend. My stomach now feels bloated and the pain come's and goes but seems to be manageable with buscopan and Panadol every four hours. Because I don't have a fever does that mean that I don't have an infection.

I an still tender but up off the bed and managed to shower and have some toast for breakfast do you think this means this attach is nearly over.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Absence of fever is suggestive of absence of a generalized infection. However, a local infection might be present.
Taking a course of prophylactic antibiotic after consulting a physician will prevent recurrence of attacks for the time being.
Since your symptoms are improving, it seems that the present attack is over.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.