Gagging sensation at night, sucking lozenge, snoring. Can I lay down during the day and have a nap?

ENT Specialist
When I go to bed at night, I fall asleep quite quickly. But within a half-hour to an hour, I wake up with a gagging sensation. Just clearing my throat is fine to relieve the pressure. I need to suck on a lazenger for a few seconds before going to sleep or I am awaken by the gagging or choking sensation. Most nights, as long as I suck on a lazenger before going to sleep, I am ok, although some nights I am still awaken but that is not too often. I have for the last couple weeks found that the lazenger is not as effective as it used to be and I am still waking up with the sensation of choking or gagging. For years I thought it was my nasal but am now thinking it can be more acid from my stomach, but am totally unsure. For the most part I sleep on my side but occasionally find myself on my back snoring but don't see any connection between the two. Another thing, I love naps.. I can lay down during the day and have a nap and none of the symptoms are present. I am 52 years old. ANy suggestions?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Your sensation of choking and gagging is most probably related to dryness in the throat. This is relieved partially by lozenges.

2. You need to undergo a sleep study to rule out Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome (OSAS).

3. Nasal obstruction or congestion and acid reflux will also lead to mouth breathing and dryness in the throat. Decreased salivation and dental problems may also contribute.

4. What is your BMI (Body Mass Index) ? It is also possible to do a flexible endoscopy and a Sleep MRI. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help decide medication and further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

If you have posted any further questions, the data has not been registered. Kindly re- enter your query. If you have not posted any further queries, you may close this question thread.