Frequent urination, leg pain after IUD coil, took cytotec, pregnant. Should the baby be aborted ?

I am a 21 years old girl. On the 27th August, I decided to put an IUD coil. My doctor gave me two cytotec to insert vaginally to open the cervix as I have never had any child before. I was telling the doctor to do a pregnancy test first but she said it is not need because she will see in her scan whether I am pregnant or not. So she didnt see anything and she put the IUD. But since last week i started getting leg pains and frequent urination. I told my doctor and she told me to do a pregnancy test and urinary infection test. There was not infection but the pregnancy test came out positive. I am 4 weeks and my doctor is insisting that i take cytotec again for an abortion because she says my baby will have defects since i took the cytotec. I was probably only one week when I took the cytotec. Is it true that my baby will have defects. Should I really abort it?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Thanks for putting up your query here

You can not continue with the pregnancy as IUD is still inside.

Vaginal misoprostol (Cytotec) might not have caused any defect in the foetus but while removing the IUD it might cause damage to the foetus.

For abortion you will have to take mifepristone along with misoprostol. Some doctors do MR or menstrual regulation along with IUD removal.

My choice would be tablets and pull the thread of IUD and check USG as you are first time pregnant. If it is incomplete then one can always go for the surgical intervention or suction evacuation of the uterus and remove the products left.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Follow-up: Frequent urination, leg pain after IUD coil, took cytotec, pregnant. Should the baby be aborted ? 2 hours later
Actually the IUD was already removed since last week
Welcome back
If IUD has been removed , you can go for a repeat scan to see the gestational sac.
If it is intact , you should get your beta hCG tests done in case you have decided to keep it.
Regular follow ups will be required.
One never knows what kind of damage has occurred.
It will be your decision to continue or abort.
Do consult your gynecologist for the same.
Best wishes
Any further query is most welcome