Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination, constantly thirsty, tired. Diabetes?

Hi, I have been urinating a great deal more frequently lately (and I have also made a point of measuring how much comes out), and constantly thirsty. I also feel very tired every day, regardless of the amount of sleep I get. Is this anything to worry about, as it's been going on for a while now.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 24 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Polyuria is a condition usually defined as excessive or abnormally large production or passage of urine (at least 2.5 or 3 L over 24 hours in adults).

Increased frequency of urination can be because of many reason:

Urinary Tract Infection
Diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes Insipidus
Disorders of metabolism
Urinary tract disorders.
Primary polydypsia
Supra ventricular tachycardia

As you can see there are plenty of reasons for the increased frequency of micturation : urinary tract infections and Diabetes are the two most common reasons for it.

I will advise you to consult a doctor to get your blood sugar level checked, as you are having both the symptoms of increased thirst and increased urination, along with tiredness, which is typical of diabetes along with urine complete examination to rule out urinary infection.

Hope it helps. I am glad to take any follow up questions.

Follow-up: Frequent urination, constantly thirsty, tired. Diabetes? 23 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, I have booked to have my blood sugar level checked in 4 days.

Would either of them explain sometimes getting discomfort, where my kidneys are....and when it comes to a urine infection, could that still be possible, if I am not getting any pain or stinging when I pass urine?
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 21 minutes later

Yes, it is quite possible to have urinary tract infection without the burning sensation usually encountered in the urinary tract infections. This can happen in subclinical or mild persistent infections, which are not treated appropriately.

Mild discomfort in renal area, which is persistent can have many reason, which probably needs imaging like ultrasound.

I will advise you to go for a complete urine examination along with urine culture to get to the root of the urinary infections, along with abdominal ultrasound.

Also please remember, diabetic person is more prone to develop urinary infections.

I hope it will resolve your query. If you still have any more questions, please let me know.