Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination, abdominal pain. Diagnosed with urinary tract infection. On antibiotics. What should be the next step?

I had been with the symptoms of frequent urination and discomfort around the abdomen left mosttly. I was diagnosed with urine analysis/Urine Culture. The bacteria E. Coli and the doctor perscribed antibiotics for one week, but still have the hourly urge and very less pain. What should be the next steps.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using heatlhcare magic

E coli is the bacterial most commonly associated with symptoms should be significantly less than at the onset.
The lack of an effective response can be related to a number of different factors such as resistance to the antibiotics prescribed. This should be ruled out first with a repeat urine culture.

Failure to respond can also be related to structural or functional problems with the urinary tract such as (1) vesicourethral reflux - this is a condition where the urine from the bladder refluxes back into the ureter . The ureter is the tract that the urine travels from the kidney to the bladder
(2)stones in the kidney or bladder
(3) diverticulum of the bladder or urethra- diverticulum are outpouching of the walls
(5) the presence of a foreign body in the bladder

If your doctor repeats the culture and the bacteria is reported as sensitive to the antibiotics you are using, then he or she may consider testing for any of the above.

This would involve imaging tests such as a CT scan.

These conditions are easily treatable

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions