Frequent twitching head, stress, blinking eyes. What could this be?

my son, 9 has been frequently twitching (jerking) his head quickly to the side and this occurs every few seconds. He had this before, but it went away right after his martial arts tournament was completed,so I thought it might be stress related. It is back, and is of concern to me. It started with his eyes blinking and keeping it shut for longer than usual (about 2 seconds), then it switched to moving his head side to side with his eyes looking in opposite direction of the head turn. Do you have any idea what it may be? Should I be concerned? Should I take him to the Dr?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the observation provided to me it looks like he is suffering from seizures probably arising from the posterior cortex of the brain (occipital). Other possibilities in this age group are Rolandic epilepsy and absence seizures.

My recommendation would be for you to immediately see your general practitioner or Neurologist for confirming the same and initiation of medications to control the seizures. Imaging of the brain preferably MRI and EEG may be required as a part of investigations for epilepsy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.