Fractured ribs from a fall. Took flexeril. Developed pneumonia and breathing difficulty. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fell in late December. Huge knot on head but didn't notice rib at time. As head pain subsided a bit, noticed rib on right side hurting. Went to family doc; gave flexeril. It did no good. After a couple of weeks, rib better but pneumonia developed. Went through rocephin (sp?) shots and steroids as well a a course of Levoquin. Hurt to breathe, especially on right rib side. Taped up chest and after about 6 weeks of drama, things seemed to be better. All of a sudden last Friday night, searing pain in right rib (I had laughed very hard, but could that do it? maybe the raking and holde diggers I used in the yard?) and increasing pain. Went to immediate care who treated me for fractured rib (15 5 mg Lorcet) which don't even touch this pain unless I take three of them. Unable to sleep or get comfortable in any position. Pain in 10+ at times. Ideas? I am 54 year old female high school teacher and single mom (one teenage sone).
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
It seems that laughing hard has caused a fracture in the rib which is causing the pain.
Take rest.
You can take a good cough syrup and do steam inhalations.
Hot fomentation on the pain site and application of anti inflammatory gels will also help. You can use a chest belt of appropriate size for better relief.
Do get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
Avoid lying ion the injured side and any overhead activities. You should feel better in next 7-10 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.