Found lumpy white discharge around vagina and anus. Temporary relief from medicine. Safe remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi.
Yesterday the outside of my vagina & around my anus was very raw. It wasn't really itchy so I didn't think it was a yeast infection. Today it was worse. I saw lumpy white discharge so I figured it was a yeast infection and bought over the counter treatment. I applied it a few hours ago, it offered some relief. But not as much as I expected. I just peed and it really made me uncomfortable. It's like there's something in my pee that's irritating my skin. It's not so itchy as it feels raw. I haven't been on antibiotics, birth control pills nor have I had sex in the past couple of weeks. I'm not pregnant, I just finished menstruating last week.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Hello
thanks for your query.
Assuming it is a yeast infection, and it sounds like one, you would not have relief wtih an OTC treatment within hours.
To begin with, yeast infections can be raw and burning, then progressing to itching.
It could also be an allergic reaction to something - shaving cream, depilators, razors, synthetic underwear, damp swimsuits, tampons, lubricants, medicated cleansers, soaps, tissues, condoms etc.
Other pelvic infections such as bacterial vaginosis and trichomonal infection ( the common ones ) also could present this way, and treatment for each varies.
It is unwise to self medicate without consulting a Gynecologist who would examine you, and take appropriate swabs.
Also, get yourself screened for STD s while at it.
For the time being, avoid self medication till the diagnosis is confirmed.
for the rawness, use aloe vera gel or cold compresses.

Feel free to discuss further.