Found left ovarian adherence to the uterus. Should I be worried?

My left ovarian adherence to the uterus noted Should I really worry about this ? Will it cause infertility ?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Was this something that was seen at the time of an ultrasound, or have you had a recent surgery?
Follow-up: Found left ovarian adherence to the uterus. Should I be worried? 20 minutes later
I was asked to do a scan for ruling out endometriotic cyst on my right ovary.
During real time grey scale Transvaginal ultrasonography, the radiologist has reported this problem.
Uterus shows normal size, shape and position.
No measurable endometrial thickness noted.
Left Ovarian Measurement :
Logitudinal : 3.8 cms
Transverse : 2.2 cms
AP : 1.8 cms
Volume : 8.28 cc
Pouch of XXXXXXX empty.

Right ovarian 4.4 x 3.5 x 4.1 cms turbid fluid ( debris level) containing cyst with adherence to the uterus noted.

Impression = Right Ovarian turbid fluid containing adherent cyst ? endometriotic.

Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 25 minutes later
Thank you for the followup information.

It is difficult to make much of a conclusion about the status of your tubes or chances for pregnancy based on an ultrasound alone. In fact, it is practically impossible to identify adhesions on ultrasound. So there sounds like there were some concerns about the location and relative lack of mobility of the right ovary on the scan.

I will assume that you had the scan related to pain. The scan shows a cyst that contains "debris". This does not mean that you have endometriosis. This can only be diagnosed with a surgery called a 'laparoscopy'.

So, given the presumed pain, and findings on ultrasound (as well as your concerns about infertiliy) it would reasonable to consider surgery to assess the pelvis for endometrosis. At the same time, the tubes can be examined.

This is a great way to get an answer to your questions regarding future pregnancy and attempts at conception. The ultrasound results, though, might be completely normal. I would at the very least ask for a repeat scan in about 6-8 weeks.
Follow-up: Found left ovarian adherence to the uterus. Should I be worried? 8 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs Doctor. Tomorrow I'm undergoing a laproscopy to diagonise the cyst.

Yes, As you've rightly said, I underwent scan for two reasons.
1) Pain during my cycle and sometimes during intercourse.
2) Unable to get pregnant.

I've already done my HSG and everything seems to be normal in the report. My tubes are also clear.

Through laproscopy if they confirm that it's endometriosis cyst, is there no permanent recovery for that ? Is it going to affect my Ovary badly ?

Will I get pregnant following up with an IUI ?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
During the laparoscopy, if there is visible endometriosis, it can be treated. If there are adhesions, they can by lysed or removed.

Endometriosis is typically a mild problem, but in some cases it can cause adhesions that affect the way a tube functions. Also, in its more severe forms, treatment with surgery can actually improve chances of pregnancy. Unfortunately, you will not know this until after the surgery.

Ask them to take lots of pictures. If the tubes are free, then IUI should be able to work. If the tubes are not functional because of things like severe adhesions, then some patients are stuck doing IVF.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I am sure that everything will go well!