Found hydroureteronephrosis kidney and it is not functioning properly. Will it be safe to travel?

Hi Doctor,Recently I had a check up and found that my left kidney is agenetic ie not functional.Also the right kidney has hydroureteronephrosis .So, is it a severe condition for me.Also, my compnay is sending me overseas for few months.Is it advisable for me to go in such a condition?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 20 minutes later
A person can lead a normal life with one functional normal kidney even if the other kidney is agenetic. In your case, however, the left kidney is agenetic and the right has hydroureteronephrosis i.e. dilatation of the right ureter, and right kidney. This is mostly because of vesicoureteric reflux.
Vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) is an abnormal movement of urine from the bladder into ureters or kidneys. Urine normally travels from the kidneys via the ureters to the bladder. In vesicoureteral reflux the direction of urine flow is reversed (retrograde) which causes damage to the ureters and kidneys. This condition usually is associated with agenetic kidneys since birth.
If detected early, there are medical and surgical treatments available to prevent renal damage. However, such cases may remain undetected till the person reaches adulthood as seen in your case.
I would advise you to urgently see a nephrologist i.e kidney specialist for further management of your condition. They usually advise renal function tests, serum sodium, serum potassium, DTPA and DMSA scan to find the function of the right kidney. After seeing the results, one will be able to comment whether you should proceed for overseas or not.
Hope this answers your query.
Take care and all the best.
Dr Nilofer AR
Follow-up: Found hydroureteronephrosis kidney and it is not functioning properly. Will it be safe to travel? 17 minutes later
Also, one more thing, I never had any kind of pain nor urine infection etc. Infact,I discovered this only two days back during the mandatory check up for overseas deputation.I have been advised to consult a urologist.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 17 minutes later
Urine infection can present only with fever. There may not be any urinary symptoms like pain while passing urine. In such cases, unless a urine examination is done, it is difficult to suspect antibiotics and paracetamol and have partial control of the infection.
This may have happened in your case. You may have suffered from fever several times in your childhood and must have received treatment without doing proper investigations like urine examination.
You can consult a nephrologist or a urologist. Both are competent in managing your condition.
Hope this answers your query.
Dr Nilofer AR