Found a lump above collar bone. What should be next step?

I have a lump about 20 mm positioned above my colar bone i found it yesterday
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

It is most probably an enlargement of lymph node. The size, shape, number, consistency (feel) and the fixity of the nodes determine whether they are of benign or malignant.

Although the probability of your lymph node being malignant is minimal as the primary nodes involved in prostate cancer is mainly the pelvic nodes rather than the supraclavicular nodes (above the collar bone) since you have mentioned advanced prostate cancer, it becomes necessary to rule out the node involvement.

Generally the size above 10 mm is a significant enlargement. If the node is soft, rubbery, not fixed to the skin or underlying structure or matted (group of lymph nodes stuck together), then it indicates benign enlargement pointing to inflammation or infection.

On the other hand, if it is stony hard, fixed or matted, then it indicates malignancy. Supraclaviclar node is enlarged in TB or other lung infection and cancer of breast. In case of left side, (Virchow's node) it may also be enlarged in cancer of GIT. CT scan, MRI or excision biopsy will identify the problem

Most likely it may be an inflammatory swelling. Since physical examination is necessary, to find out the nature of the swelling, you should consult a surgeon for further course of management.

I hope this helps. Please address to me if you have any further concerns.