Force myself to swallow saliva, non stop flatulence, constipated.. Why have I gained weight?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I feel like I have a frog in my throat so to speak. I have to force myself to swallow the saliva in my mouth. And I am having nonstop flatulence, to the point that I cannot sleep in peace. I'm constipated in the sense I only go once a day with trouble. Before this week, I was very regular - every time I ate. I have gained 3 pounds because of this in one week.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
What I gather from your history is that there is some form of dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing)
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
1] Is the difficulty in swallowing more with liquids or with solids?
2] Is there any history of reflux disease?
3] Has a complete blood count ever been done for you? If yes, what is your hemoglobin?
4] Have you undergone Barium Swallow or Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy?
5] How long have these symptoms been there?

Your bowel movements are normal. Going after every meal is abnormal and can be due to colitis. The excessive flatulence can also be due to the same reason.
Avoid eating or drinking anything from outside. I would suggest that you take a probiotic twice a day and a course of antibiotics after consulting your treating physician. You would need treatment with drugs like ornidazole and ofloxacin.
Keep a watch on your weight. If it keeps on increasing, some amount of dietary modification and regular exercise would be needed.
Awaiting your reply
Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Force myself to swallow saliva, non stop flatulence, constipated.. Why have I gained weight? 4 hours later
It is difficulty swallowing with liquids not solids. Especially saliva. The blood count has been done and it was normal (I dont remember the number). My white cell count has been high every time they have run a blood test for the past 4 years but the doctors usually say I must just be passing a small infection. The symptoms are fairly recent about two weeks. I have suffered from acid reflux in the past, about five years ago, and have not had any recurring symptoms since. The problem swallowing reoccurs every couple of months, however it hasnt lasted this long before and never in combination with constipation.

I am watching my weight with weight watchers, and thats why I was concerned about the rapid weight gain despite eating healthy - I am a vegetarian and stay away from most processed foods.

I was wondering if it could be crohn's disease because I also have severe joint pain all over my body (arms, hips, and back especially) and have skin lumps all over my body, especially in the back of the neck, underarms, and inner thighs. I am extremely fatigued even after sleeping 8 hours. Sometimes I have fevers off and on.

My blood tests usually dont show anything unusual so the doctors dont really follow up with any of my symptoms. Its getting harder and harder to go on with my daily life with the symptoms getting worse, and wanted to know what tests should I request to hopefully get some treatment.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

I appreciate the manner in which you have detailed your complains

The difficulty in swallowing liquids is probably due to oesophagitis, which again is secondary to reflux disease, as your hemoglobin is normal

Take care of reflux disease by regular medications from you physician and follow the advice mentioned below:

1] Avoid spicy & fermented meals
2] Take small frequent meals
3] Avoid Smoking & Alcohol if used to
4] Wear loose clothes & avoid stooping
5] Raise the head end of your bed

For your constipation I would suggest you take high fiber diet and Psyllum Husk 2 teaspoonfuls with two glasses of water before going to bed

Raised white cells do suggest there is some form of infection; we would recommend you take some good form of B Complex Vitamin & Vitamin C

There are many reasons for weight gain, Do consult your dietician for the same, perform regular exercises, take healthy diet and If needed go for thyroid function tests

Your history is not suggestive of Crohn's disease, the fatigue could be because of some subclinical infection [Suggested by fever off and on] and the lumps could be Lipoma common in patients with extra fat deposits

I would just reassure you that there is no major problem just take good care, exercise regularly, take high fiber diet and control infection

In case you have any doubts do revert back

Wishing you a Speedy recovery