Fluid with foul odor leaking from belly button. Cause?

I have noticed that my belly button is leaking some fluid with a foul odor. What could be the cause?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

In the area which you describe around the belly button there sometimes can be a pocket of tissue which can become inflamed and infected. We see this more commonly in people have piercings of that area but the general population can be sometimes affected as well. There is nothing necessarily which triggered this is just sometimes happens.

As far as what to do for this there are a couple of options. First of all you can do conservative treatment with warm soaks two or three times per day in the bathtub. After washing this area I would apply a small amount of antibiotic cream around the belly button and inside the belly button four times per day for the time being. If the area slowly improves you will be fine. However if there is a progressive degree of pain and swelling or if you develop any fever. It will be necessary for you to see your antibiotics. This is sometimes necessary depending on how things go along.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert