Flare up of HPV, happened due to stress. Is this possible? What can be other reasons?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have been in a monogamous relationship for 6+ years and have recently experienced a flare-up of HPV. I tell my girlfriend what my doctor said about stress being a cause of an hpv breakout. The stress I have been under is well known to her but she still won't believe me. Can someone please confirm that stress can cause a flare-up of hpv. I have since been treated and all symptoms are gone. Many thanks.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Yes you are right. HPV or human papilloma virus is an infection which is first contracted usually by sexual or genital contact. But, even if treated it remains in a dormant state in the cells of your body and may flare up during periods of low immunity like stress, poor diet, inadequate rest, increased consumption of alcohol or smoking, or other infections anywhere in the body.

If you have been treated again and asymptomatic as of now and have a single partner, this does not guarantee that you won't get a flare up in future. So, try to avoid the triggering factor which I have mentioned above.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.