Felt swelling on lower abdomen. CT scan and colonoscopy done. Worried for hernia

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

recently i felt a slight bulge/swelling in lower left abdomen area right on the very edge of the abdomen. It appears to be near or on the right side of the inguinal canal. Had a CT scan done nothing showed up but the bulge/swelling is still there which comes and goes. I noticed this after exercising and one day falling asleep on my left then pain worsened and the bulge/swelling appeared the next day with pain. This happened in Mid December 2012 and now its Mar 2013. I had an ultrasound done and the doc said it was my intestines that I was feeling and that it could be a bowel disease so I had a Colonoscopy done (Results are attached).

I'm concerned about the first image which the doc didn't comment much about. Could this possibly be the issue, does that image look normal? Does it look like any of them can cause a bulge to occur in my intestines. Also, is there a muscle/tendon/ligament in that area (around the colon) that can bulge/swell periodically. Or can it be a start of a hernia. No real pain now just a dull feeling. The Bulge/Swelling is somewhat hard not soft (like a 3 inch rope) and i can make it go down by pressing or sitting a certain way sometimes. When the bulge/swelling goes down it feels like a little tube.

Also, I took cipro weeks prior 500mg x2 a day for 10 days. Could the antibiotics have weakened my abdominal wall? I have a bowel movement more often now but no diarrhea or blood in stool. Also, is it possible that some type of hernia didn't show up on CT Scan?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in

The information you provided is more suggestive of a developing hernia, yet a clinical examination is must before I can stamp it

Regarding your queries :

The first image is normal , the mucosal folds that you see are seen in normal colon

No it can not cause bulge in intestines

The muscle , tendon in the inguinal region are the cause of Inguinal hernia

Yes it appears to be a developing hernia as you seem to be able to reduce it, but my concern is the examining doctor should be able to diagnose it clinically.....

No the antibiotic can not weaken the abdominal wall muscle

Hernia would clearly show on a CT and Ultrasound - so I would like you to get yourself reevaluated

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead