Felt presence of a foul odour in the nostrils when bending. What could this be?

I have noticed an oder in my nostrils, especially when bending over such as when tying boots or zipping up pants legs on a riding suit or any other time when I'm inverting my head
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The presence of a foul odor in the nostrils specially noticed on inverting the head is likely to be due to an infection in the nasal cavity or the sinuses. The inversion of the head might be causing the release of secretions from the sinuses causing the bad odor.

This needs a detailed direct examination of the area by an ENT specialist to detect the cause of infection. Systemic antibiotics are often needed for the treatment. Till then doing a steam inhalation will help in improving the sinus drainage thus controlling the infection.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Felt presence of a foul odour in the nostrils when bending. What could this be? 46 minutes later
Would regular flushing of the nasal/sinus area by nettie pot be of use. I'm not really sure I want to do antibiotics for something that seems trivial 99.9% of the time. What I wanted to do was make sure I wasn't blowing off something I should be paying attention to.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Regular flushing of the nose with Neti pot can help in flushing the collected secretions which might be the cause of infection.

In case the smell persists then getting yourself examined from an ENT specialist is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.