Felt dizzy and nauseous with headache. Have normal blood pressure. What's wrong?

Question
LAST NIGHT I WAS LAYING ON THE COUCH I WAS TIRED FROM WORK AS I GOT UP I WAS DIZZY AND NAUSCIOUS DURING THE NIGHT I HAD A LITTLE HEADACHE AND MY EARS ARE ITCHY. WHAT CAN IT BE I'VE HAD MY HEART CHECKED AND I'M FINE MY BLOOD WORK WAS CHECKED 6 MONTHS AGO AND EVERYTHING IS FINE.MY BLOOD PRESSURE THIS MORNING IS
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Hello madam,
Let me tell you that a given medical problem is due to various reasons and the aim of the treating doctor is to establish the cause and treat it accordingly.
Some sub-sets of patients can have multiple causes for the same problem and certain people can have so many co-morbid medical conditions. All these factors, their age, sex are important in dealing with them
I have noted your symptoms
I will like to address your problem as follows
1. Dizziness and nausea: Dizziness can be due to neurological and heart related problem. People with low hemoglobin can also feel dizzy. While some people may actually have vertigo and they may perceive it as a dizzy spell. I advise you to get a neurological assessment who will determine the presence or absence of any neurological deficits. This will help us decide regarding the scan of brain. If the scan and other neurological findings are normal, two other possibilities may be consideded. One is postural fall in blood pressure. Your doctor will help you in his regards. If all these things are normal, a possibility of benign positional vertigo needs worth mentioning. This can be treated by certain exercises which a neurologist will teach you.
2. In the above context, I feel that you might have a light headedness which you have perceived as headache. Hence an interview with a neurologist will clarify this issue. If there is a genuine headache and for the first time, as I mentioned earlier, a brain scan, if planned by your doctor will rule out secondary causes of headache and this will help us guide you treatment. Temporal arthritis is another cause of headache in this age group too, which can be diagnosed by ordering blood erythrocyte sedimentation rate.
As you have already had a cardiac check up, I think you need to get evaluated by a neurologist with clinical and other investigations. Once the diagnosis is establishes he will guide you accordingly.
Hope this answers your questions
I will be happy to take questions in this regard further
Wish you good health
Dr Gopal Krishana Dash MD, DM, Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist and Epilepsy specialist