Fell from stairs and noticed popping sound. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been fighting with workmans compensation and working with the VA over my injury at my place of employment, i ended up falling down a flight of stairs after the lights went out during a patrol i had i work as a security officer, Anyhow i fell down the flight of stairs an i rolled my ankle an i heard a loud popping sound and my ankle still hurts down to the slightest vibration and no one can figure out why an whats going on.. ive been out of work for almost a year now and i need help..
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The persistent pain in the ankle even after one year of injury is likely to be related to a ligament injury.
The exact diagnosis can be made by MRI scan of the ankle which will help in identifying the type and extent of injury that you have suffered.
If there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely. The discomfort and the XXXXXXX pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic ankle brace for better support while walking.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fell from stairs and noticed popping sound. Suggest 14 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX,

I have had 2 MRI's Done an they said they werent able to find anything wrong with me.. but im not able to apply any pressure or anything without severe pain in my ankle is there anything els that can show what is wrong? Is it possible that there is nerve damage? and if so how do you check for that..
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If no structural damage has been detected on MRI scan then it could be a nerve damage. It can be tested by nerve conduction velocity testing. You can also consult a neurologist for the same.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.