Fell from stairs and heard a pop in foot. Noticed swelling and turned blue. Applied ice. Having pain. What to do?

General Surgeon
Four days ago I fell down the stairs (3 steps). My foot turn underneath me (landing on marble tile flooring) and I heard a pop. Right off the bat my left foot started to swell & turn blueish purple in these areas: Outer foot, top, ankle, & toes. I took the precautions needed and applied ice to my foot, took motrin, elevated it and used an old air boot I had from a previous injury. Thing is I've this same injury (same incident) on the same foot back in 2005, doctor wanted to cast but because I was active military at the time I denied the cast. But currently after taking the needed precautions my foot, my foot is still in pain. I get pain to the point of crying when I apply ice or when I go without ice. I thought putting on the air boot would help but I still cannot put pressure (bear weight) on my foot. With/without the boot it hurts to walk, I do not have any crutches so I have to limp around. I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to, Please help!!
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

4 days is long enough for mild injuries to stop giving you pain. So it seems you will have to go to the doctor.
Your symptoms can be caused by bones fracture, sprain, ligaments injuries or soft tissues hamatoma (blood accumulation). Fracture needs to be diagnosed and treated property as this part of your body (foot) is very important for normal living. Some fractures which are not treated can give permanent dysfunction.
Fracture, sprain and ligaments injury should be treated by immobilization of your foot.
Your foot color can be very serious symptom. Especially if the foot is swollen, tender, skin is tensed. In such case, blood accumulation could cause tissues infection and compression. Due to compression, blood can not flow freely what can (in extreme cases) lead to necrosis. That is why such hematomas should be treated by an incision.

It is really good idea to see a doctor and do not wait anymore.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.