Fell down. No fracture seen on x-ray. On ibuprofen and flexiril. Getting pain in hip, back, chest

HI, I'm 55 years old and was bucked off my horse last Sunday. Landed on my right and back side. The wind was knocked out of me. I went to the ER and they took x-rays. I have no broken bones. I was given vicodin, 600 mg of ibuprofen and flexiril. I have extreme pain in my right hip and low back. There is now dark purple bruising but not on the actual injury site. I still have pain in my chest when I take a deep breath that feel like it is in the back of my throat. Plus horrible headaches on my left side of my head. The front muscle on my left side of my neck was sore for a few days so I assume I had some whiplash. What has me the most concerned is I've gained 7 lbs in one week! I weigh myself every day so I know this is not normal. Should I see my doctor about this?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Its actually abnormal to gain weight at such a pace. It is however very important to know whether you are taking the measurements very correctly. If its the case, its very important to see your physician.
It would be important to know whether you have noticed any swelling of the limbs, abdomen or face. If anyone has made the remark that you appear swollen or not. Signs of fluid retention should be actively searched for.
Rapid accumulation of fluid should certainly mean you do not send out much water, and kidney function must actively be looked into. Other fluid retaining cavities like the abdomen and the lung cavities also need to be actively explored.
A complete clinical evaluation by your family physician is compelling to exclude a possible cause, especially the kidney function. If these results are normal, then a careful monitoring of your weight using the same machine taking the readings at the same time would be necessary.
I suggest you book an appointment and get a medical examination first.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Fell down. No fracture seen on x-ray. On ibuprofen and flexiril. Getting pain in hip, back, chest 30 minutes later
The hospital had me give a urine sample last Sunday. There was no blood in it.
If it is my kidney would I have blood in my urine? How serious is this? Can I wait and call my doctor in the morning?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
My prayer is there there should be nothing serious. Blood in blood is not the main indicator, although can be found in some kidney diseases.
The real measures of kidney function tests shall be serum creatinine levels, serum electrolytes especially potassium and Calcium, Blood Urea Nitrogen and an abdominal/kidney scan depending on the case.
You can wait and see your Dr tomorrow, its not an extreme emergency. We just want to be sure of your health status, and intervene early if need be.
If these conditions are excluded, then a careful monitoring of your weight using more standardized methods to follow up shall then be drawn up. Ne calm now till you see you doctor tomorrow. You need not over bother now.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Best regards, Luchuo, MD.