Feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery. What can be done?

my husbands feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery what should we do?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

A event like surgery may occasionally precipitate potential systemic disease due to increased physical stress.Swelling of the feet is usually due to retention of excess fluid.

If I could think of common things first is immobility after surgery. In such a case as soon as the person starts moving around on the legs, the muscles of the leg (machines) pump up the impure blood faster towards the heart.

At this age I would be interested to rule out of kidney disease/liver disease/anaemia/increased salt intake/phlebitis or venous disorders of the legs like Deep vein thrombosis/drug allergy.

It would help if you were examined by your PCP who can order investigations based on the physical signs found. A haemogram,liver and kidney profile and other investigations will help diagnose the exact cause which can be treated.
Follow-up: Feet are swollen after umbilical hernia repair surgery. What can be done? 12 hours later
his feet are still swollen after a nights sleep, he has no pain in his legs just the swelling should I be concerned
Answered by Dr. Vakul Aren 2 hours later

Yes,the swelling of the feet needs to be investigated by your Doctor. As mentioned previously, ruling out kidney disease/anaemia/liver disease/congestive cardiac failure apart from other causes needs to be ruled out.

Reducing his salt intake and use of diuretics like Hydrochlorthiazide may help in reducing the swelling .