Feeling sharp pain around breast and noticed spotting. What could this be?

Sep 2012

The last few days I have had sharp shooting pain in the right side of my body (around 2-3 inches down from the breast but over to the side) these pains come on go. The pain feels exactly like the pain I have from migraines, and often last for several days. Then yesterday I started noticing that it feels odd in my vagina area, and feels different then normal when I pee. And this evening after going pee ( didn't pee a lot) and I wiped myself there was blood all over the paper. Some of it was red, some of it was a reddish brown. At that point I looked at my panties and there was a fair bit of dried blood....I'm not sure if the pain in my side has anything to do with the bleeding..What could this be?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the sharp pain you are feeling around breast and the bleeding you described are totally different.

The bleeding you described indicates per vaginal bleeding. In this age group, it is alarming. For this, you have to consult with a gynecologist. A pervaginal examination using speculum, is very much important to rule out any visible lesion. APap smear is to be taken irrespective of findings. If the smear becomes non contributory, then a cervical and endometrial biopsy should be taken.

One thing you must understand, if this time all the tests becomes normal, then you have to do Pap smear examination every year and keep following up with your treating doctor. It is necessary.

Regarding the sharp pain, you should take any nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug like diclofenac or paracetamol.

So, consult with a gynecologist immediately. Do not neglect the situation.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Feeling sharp pain around breast and noticed spotting. What could this be? 5 minutes later
I know you can't say yes this is the problem. However, could it possibly be bladder cancer? The problem I have right now and until XXXXXXX 2nd. is that I'm a Canadian, but a resident of Qatar. And until the 2nd of XXXXXXX I will be in Canada, but without health care, so I can't possibly get any kind of testing like you are suggesting without a VERY large XXXXXXX So what I'm asking is what could be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, for your information, per vaginal bleeding is just a symptom which is seen many disease conditions of female genital tract. The diseased condition may present in Vagina, cervix, uterus, any part of genital tract.

So, without examining you physically, without any investigation like pap smear examination, ultrasound scan of abdomen, it is impractical to give a diagnosis here.

In case of bladder cancer, blood is seen in urine. It does not present as spotting in undergarments as you described. So, possibility of bladder cancer is rare.

Lastly, the problem is most probably in your genital tract. But Clinical examination is necessary for any particular diagnosis.

Follow-up: Feeling sharp pain around breast and noticed spotting. What could this be? 8 hours later
If there is no more blood on the paper (and so far there hasn't been) should I still pay of of pocket and seek medical help in Canada, or should I be alright to wait and see my Dr. in Qatar?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

I think you should not wait till 2nd January, if you have repeated episode of this type of spotting within this time period. Otherwise, you can wait till 2nd January.

But, one thing you must understand that, minimum a pap smear and ultrasound scan of abdomen is necessary. If you can do these within next few days that would be better. If the reports are within normal limit, then you can easily wait till 2nd January for your doctor in Qatar.

This is all I can suggest.