Feeling pressure outside vagina after child birth, frequent urination. Reason?

I feel pressure (I say pressure because I wouldn't describe the sensation as anything beyond mild pain) in my labia majora (the area outside my vagina). This started after the birth of my only child (6 years ago. I am 28 years old. The pressure was fairly regular up to a few months after I gave birth and is present each month before and during my period. Usually the pressure is relieved by sitting or squatting. I am worried as to what may be causing the pressure and it seems to be getting worse lately. It doesn't burn when I urinate although I do have to urinate often but I always have.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms are suggestive of vulvodynia. It may be caused by an injury to or irritation of the nerves that supply and receive input from the vulva; a localized hypersensitivity to yeast; an allergic response to environmental irritants; high levels of oxalate crystals in the urine; or spasm and/or irritation of the pelvic floor muscles.
Treatment involves avoidance of irritants that cause the discomfort, doing warm sitz bath and mild pain killers. You need to get any sexually transmitted diseases ruled out after an examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.