Feeling pressure on the temple and headache during flight. Took decongestant. Advice?

I feel major pressure in back of next and temple on left side of my head when I am landing in a plane. The pressure even causes my tooth to kill. Very "splitting type" of headache. I don't feel like I have a cold but took decongestant just in case because I thought it might be sinus. Inner ear? Although I don't feel dizzy or have my ear hurt.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
You are having a condition called airplane headache. It usually happens due to the effect of the pressure changes in the plane during take off and landing on the nerves specially the trigeminal nerve causing this acute debilitating pain.
Usually sinuses, middle ear and MRI of brain are normal in such cases.
Treatment involves a single dose of triptans to be taken half an hour before the beginning of the flight. You can get the suitable drug prescribed from your GP.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.