Feeling pain in lower back. Sore and sensitive to touch. No lump found. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My lower back, on the right side (for the most part) always feels sore and bothers me but ONLY after touching it. I can not stress enough that it will only begin to bother me after i touch it. As soon as i touch it, it almost feels like a really sore feeling. I have looked for lumps of any sort but have not found anything. Don't have any other health conditions. At times the sore feeling will run to my lower spine and sometimes the left side as well. It stays on the right lower side for most part. Again, extremely sensitive to touch. help?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
The tenderness of the lower right side of your back can be due to-
1. Lumbar muscle strain- due to tear or pull of muscle fibres.
2. Infections like paraspinal abscess.
3. Intra- abdominal conditions like renal infections, calculi, cholecystitis, etc.
4. Lumbar disc herniation, sciatica, etc.
Proper diagnosis involves investigations like ultrasound of the abdomen, X-ray and MRI of the spine after an examination by your primary physician.
The treatment will then depend on the cause.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Feeling pain in lower back. Sore and sensitive to touch. No lump found. What could it be? 8 hours later
Okay, I have been pressing on it really hard since last night because I almost felt nerves where the tenderness was. I woke up and it is now really sore, like a bruise. Is this because of all the Poking I was doing? Could I have bruised it internally?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The soreness you have now is not likely to be related to poking you did. A nerve root compression is more likely. Avoid lifting any heavy weights and improvise your posture.
You need to have a direct examination for proper diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.