Feeling numbness in leg through the day. What could this be?

Excellent

Question
Half of my right leg has been numb all. Day. What could this be.
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Omer 13 days later
Hello

I am Dr,omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that your right leg (half ) is numb and your age is 42 years.

The nerve supply of legs originate from your lower back , and then they travel along to supply the muscles and nerves of your leg

For example your thigh muscles and nerves are supplied from your back , an area known as lumbar vertebrae(L2 , L3 , L4), when the nerve passing through these vertebrae get compressed than the nerve gets numb and you get a feeling of mild weakness and feeling of ants crawling in the area that was supplied by those nerves

The most common cause of numbed leg in age of 42 is Disk Herniation leading to nerve compression.

Disk herniation means the cushion between your vertebrae got slipped , or mildly damaged and causing nerve compression

I would suggest you to go to Neurologist for MRI lumbar spine, to check for nerve compression , leading to numbness.

For pain relief, painkiller + muscle relaxant will help and it is a totally treatable condition , nothing to worry about.

I hope this explains your query. Feel free to ask any further questions

Follow-up: Feeling numbness in leg through the day. What could this be? 13 hours later
thank you i do alot of lifting in my job once in a while my legs are sore and seem weak doe's that make sense

Answered by Dr. Omer 7 hours later
Hello again,

Yes, the most important risk factor for disk herniation is heavy weight lifting.

Disk herniation is a common professional hazard in people involving heavy weight lighting. Due to pressure by lifting the cushion between the vertebrae get damaged easily.

Feeling sore in legs actually describes the pressure effect of the vertebrae on that nerve

Either you don't pick heavy objects or use waist belt while lifting. But before that I want you to visit to neuro-physician and learn the extent of damage.

Follow-up: Feeling numbness in leg through the day. What could this be? 15 hours later
Would that also be the cause of my right arm hurts. Tingles like prickling. Feeling. And my hand. Goes numb arm gets tired and sore

Answered by Dr. Omer 10 hours later
Hello again,

YES , you are right. The pain in your right arm and hand with tingling and pricking sensation might be due to a disease known as CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS

Cervical spondylosis means the cervical ( neck ) vertebrae having disc prolapse/ vertebral damage in the respective nerve root

The nerves arise from your neck , pass through shoulder and supply muscles and skin of arm and hands like C4 , C5 , C6

So when there is nerve compression in the neck vertebrae , your pain , numbness , pain in the arm muscles , that is deep seated will be there

Your neck and lower back vertebrae are getting weak , may be aggravated by your profession.

You need to get a Neurophysician + Neurosurgeon review , so that they can do cervical , lumbar MRI , with calcium and Vitamin D supplements

Muscle relaxant + Pain killers will also help

Neck collar is also effective ( soft)

Physiotherapy(hot/cold) also plays important role in preventive measures.

I would suggest that these problems can be reduced by having good preventive measures in your profession and hence you can live a normal, healthy life.

I hope I have explained the query in detail.

Feel free to ask any further question

Your feedback is important for us

Follow-up: Feeling numbness in leg through the day. What could this be? 3 days later
Thank's a lot for your help I am going to a doctor yesterday felt like someone stuck a needle in my leg is it serious

Answered by Dr. Omer 17 hours later
Hello Again

Yes feeling of "stuck a needle" , is typical sensory sign of nerve compression , which again shows that you have vertebrae pressing on your nerves

You need to tell this as well, to your doctor

Don't worry just follow what your doctor is saying and it will decrease in some time

Wishing you speedy recovery

doctor did not say much

Answered by Dr. Omer 4 days later
Please discuss about the earlier response I gave, once again with your doctor. He must be able to guide you in this direction.