Feeling nervousness and light headedness when hungry. Am I having Hypoglycemia?

Hello, my name is XXXXXXX and I am a 37 year old male. My question is this, a lot of times when I get hungry I will get the shakes or nervousness. Sometimes it is accompanied by a feeling of light headedness. The onset of symptoms and hunger is often times rapid. I have measured my blood glucose levels at times during symptoms and the readings have been 74, 77, 83, 84. Usually in that range. Is it possible I am suffering from hypoglycemia? I do seem to feel better after I eat or during my meal. What levels would be normal before or when hungry? My glucose level as measured first thing upon waking in the mornings is usually in the same range as that above.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to your answer.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for query.

Levels of sugar around 70 can trigger these feelings of being low and it is thought that symptoms of this hypoglycemia are more because of response of our natural adrenal and cortisol hormones which are released in greater quantities and cause these symptoms.
This causes following symptoms like
Feeling light headed
Feeling hungry
Feeling anxious
Sweating,palpitations and trembling.

Have you got your following check ups done
Blood sugar fasting and PP (Postprandial)
Thyroid function tests

High levels of thyroid hormone levels can cause these symptoms apart from hypoglycemia of diabetics.

In the absence of these medical problems,which probably is the case with you,your symptoms should be taken as normal physiological response of your body and should be ignored.

I hope to have answered your query,however you can revert to me for follow up query,if any
Thanks and wish you good luck.
Follow-up: Feeling nervousness and light headedness when hungry. Am I having Hypoglycemia? 16 hours later
Thank you for your answer. One more question please.

Do to the nature of my work I am unable to eat on a regular schedule. My question, Is it safe to ignore those symptoms and skip a meal until I am able to eat? If so, will the symptoms disappear and how low can I expect my sugar levels to drop due to skipping a meal?

Is it perfectly normal to have sugar levels at or even below 70 on any given day?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Skipping your meals is would be counterproductive in your case.

If you skip your meal, your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows down and as the day progresses you will tend to have a bigger and faster meal.

Now imagine a slow metabolism coupled with binge eating or heavy meal.

This results in storage of extra food as fats and you get increased waist line in longer run.

Any drop of your sugar below 50 to 55 range can make you nervous or loose consciousness.

So eat healthy and regularly at 4 to 6 hour intervals but in smaller quantities.

Hope this answers your query. Please do write back if your have additional concerns.