Feeling lightheaded and started vomiting. Blood sugar normal. Is this due to anxiety?

Dec 2014

I have had debilitating symptoms for nearly a year after getting a virus in April of 2012. I started with vomiting every morning and feeling lightheaded constantly, then the vomiting tapered off and I was able to eat more again. Now for several months I get feelings like hypoglycemia but I check my blood sugar and it's normal... if I don't eat at least every two hours I feel like I'm going to faint. I also get lightheaded after eating, and sometimes I have weakness in my arms and legs, which is a more recent symptom. Could anxiety be causing this and other bothersome physical symptoms? I know it can cause many symptoms but for me it's been so constant. The only diagnosis I've received after extensive testing is anxiety. I had LOTS of stress in my life before I got sick and now I am stressed about my health, could I have too much cortisol in my body from living on adrenaline for so long?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later

Some viral infections cause non specific symptoms like loss of appetite, mild fever, malaise, body aches, palpitations in their infective phase. But in some people who suffered Dengue virus , chickenguinea virus, some strains of influenza virus such symptoms continue for long time in milder form.

It may overlap with stress and present as Anxiety symptoms. But these features are usually continuous. As you were alright for some months post infection and then started to have symptoms of lightheadedness, tiredness, muscle fatigue etc, there are very less chances that they are sequel of viral infection.

As per my opinion the symptoms are most likely due to Nonspecific Anxiety or Mild Depressive Episode. In both cases fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, low mood are seen.

Treatment options for both cases are almost same like-
Pharmacological treatment in form of SSRI (fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertaline etc) or SNRI ( Venlafexine, desvenpafexine etc). These drugs cover both depression and anxiety. For episodic control of anxiety Benzodiazepine can be taken
Psychological treatment like Cognitive therapy, Behavior therapy are very useful if you want to avoid medicines.
Home based self exercises like XXXXXXX Breathing Exercises , Progressive muscle relaxation technique, yoga, meditation are very useful and also decrease the need of medicines.

One thing I advise to go for is thyroid hormone testing as hypothyroidism may present with such symptoms and a very common occurrence. There is no need to worry about cortisol.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

I will be happy to answer again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Follow-up: Feeling lightheaded and started vomiting. Blood sugar normal. Is this due to anxiety? 58 minutes later
Thanks. The symptoms have actually been continuous, although varying in severity. The thing I am most worried about is my symptoms are exactly like hypoglycemia, but my blood sugar is normal. The lightheadedness is usually before eating or after eating. My blood sugar is slightly low after eating sometimes, last time I checked it it was 79 two hours after eating.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Even if they are continuous they are of anxiety and depression. The feeling of hypoglycemia is only anticipatory anxiety only.
Still if you want to be on safer side get your Blood Pressure checked. If it's in normal range there is nothing to worry. Post-viral infection complications may lead to development of anxiety. There is no physical illness in you, so don't take undue stress about this.

Thanks and you can ask again if you have more queries.
Follow-up: Feeling lightheaded and started vomiting. Blood sugar normal. Is this due to anxiety? 5 hours later
Okay, thank you. So you are completely sure it is anxiety? I am finally starting to accept this after so much normal blood work. But I not only get lightheaded before eating, I get lightheaded after eating just in a different way, not all the time but sometimes. How can I heal from this without going on addictive medications? The symptoms have been there so long I think it might take a while to get over.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 hours later
It's my pleasure to answer your question.
There are various non pharmacological treatment available like-minded
- Progressive muscle relaxation techniques. In this method first of all patient is asked to lie down in supine position. He is then told to tense (contract) the muscles of toe for at least 10 seconds then he is taught to feel the tension in muscles. In next step muscle is relaxed. Then from toe to head all muscle groups are tensed and then relaxed. With practice individual learn the tension in muscles in anxiety and he can control his anxiety by relaxation. You can visit any good psychologist for details.
- Second is XXXXXXX breathing exercise. Individual is asked to breathe XXXXXXX inspiration. Then told to remember any happy moment of her life by imagining. Then exhalation is done. This is also very useful with practice.
- Yoga and meditation are also very useful.
- Behavior therapy by trained psychologist is other modality.

So just visit a psychologist for these exercises.

Wish you a good health.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi