Have shaky legs, chest pain and breathing difficulty while working out. How to overcome this?

Dec 2014

Hi, i have not been working out for the past 3 months but i still do light work out in my own time. When i start to work out again as usual, i have chest pain n feels like hard to breath... Feels like choking or drowning where you would really struggle to take air... My weight is consistent... N recently i notice that my right leg started to shake. Either when i yawn or driving...
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You are a young otherwise healthy female with no significant past history, with history of allergy to sea food and occasional headache and migraine. You have recently developed symptoms of chest pain, difficulty in breathing, chocking sensation while working out.

The symptoms you have described may occur due to anxiety. Anxiety like symptoms can occur due to number of conditions.
One condition is low hemoglobin in blood. I would advise you to get your Hemoglobin checked. In anaemia difficulty in breathing, easy fatiguability, chest tightness may be seen.
Other possibility is thyroid abnormality. You feel fatigued and have difficulty in breathing during work out. It may occur in hypothyroid states or hyperthyroid states. I will advise you to get your Thyroid Function Tests done, low T3/T4/ and elevated TSH may be a cause behind these symptoms.

If these investigations come normal then most likely reason is Non Specific Anxiety. Non specific anxiety may present with symptoms you have described. Other symptoms like tremors, dizziness, shaking legs, palpitations are also seen. I would advise you to please visit a good Physician or Psychiatrist for evaluation of any anxiety.
As it is of lower grade you can control it at home also. Try yoga or meditation daily before work out. Progressive muscle relaxation techniques and Deep Breathing Exercises are also very useful.

Other methods to manage anxiety include Behavior therapy by a Psychologist. Medicines like Fluoxetine, Sertaline, Clonazepam, Buspirone etc are very useful. Don't take undue stress of these symptoms just try relaxation exercises and you will improve in no time. These is nothing to worry.

Hope I cleared your doubt, If you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi MD