Feeling fatigued even after a long sleep, concentration level drops. How to get temporary relief for this?

I have had a long-term issue with sleep and fatigue. Even after sleeping 8 hours or more than 8 hours I feel I am not fresh. When fatigued my mood worsens, I don't have strength to do anything, my concentration drops and I feel like I get too involved in some things as though I am highly immersed in whatever I am doing. There is excessive boredom during this time. How do I get temporary relief for this? Or is there a long-term solution as I have been suffering from this for the last 12 years now
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 52 minutes later

Thanks for coming to health care magic

Yes, I do understand, how difficult it would be without sound sleep

Invariably sleeplessness can cause fatigue. But in you say you have mild asthma.

To what extent Asthma or worry of having asthmatic attack cause sleep problem, you need to estimate, first.

Second, any unresolved or ongoing stress can cause such poor quality sleep.

If above two issue are taken care, still problem persists, it can be non organic insomnia.

This can be treated by medications in short term with or without combined with sleep hygiene, stimulus control therapy, sleep restriction therapy and cognitive behavior therapy.

Understanding the principles of such therapies usually need mental health professional help.

Better idea may be avoid alcohol or other substance, if any; maintain sleep diary, consult a psychiatrist keeping all the above issues in mind.

I am available for further discussion

Wish you a sound sleep
Follow-up: Feeling fatigued even after a long sleep, concentration level drops. How to get temporary relief for this? 3 hours later
Can you please elaborate on the therapies you suggested? How will they help me? What do these therapies focus on?
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 hours later
Thanks for the clarification

A. Sleep hygiene:

No caffeine/beverages, heavy exercise 2-3 hrs before sleep; No watching TV, do not use night bed during day time, sleeping room least lighted, noisy, timing of going to bed and getting up from bed should be constant 30 min on either side, preoccupations of the day or "things to do" next day / in coming days can be put in a diary rather than putting in the mind.

B. Sleep restriction therapy: Normally sleep efficiency determine quality of sleep which is the ratio pf time in sleep to time in bed, which ideally is 100% (usually should not be less than 85%). So, in this therapy this is being tried after maintaining sleep diary and analyzing it. Here in the initial part you restrict the duration in bed to duration of sleep with 15% on either side. Once this is practiced for 2 weeks, one need to go to next step. This is scientific, researched and based on proportion of various stages sleep cycle stages like REM and NREM.

C. Stimulus control therapy: Some sleep hygiene principles mentioned above like room should be least lighted, diary maintenance of preoccupations etc are based on principle of controlling stimulus i.i avoiding / controlling stimulus that alters sleep wake cycle.

Hope I could clarify to some extent. It is very important to understand these therapies as you have asked I must appreciate for your clarification

Wish you good sleep