Feeling dizzy while driving. Got blurry. Suggest?

Nov 2013

while driving suddenly I got so dizzy I thought I'll pass out, everything got so blurry I had to pull over, that lasted for about one half hour I get dizzy quite often but I never had it that bad and normally lasts a few min. only
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it was peripheral vertigo.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, it was most likely peripheral vertigo due to vestibular dysfunction in the ear. The symptoms are self limiting in this case, and improve on own. Taking betahistine tablets would reduce the symptoms when you feel dizzy. Doing vestibular rehabilitation exercises would reduce the chances of recurrence.

However, in view of your blood pressure and cholesterol, we need to exclude brain ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain). Doing a brain MRI scan would help.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist