Feeling cold, fever and leg pain. Am I having an infection?

Dec 2012

Hello - Last Saturday, I had chills and was running a fever of 100.5. I also had leg pain with it. The fever went away quickly but the leg pain seems to be getting worse. It's happening with both of my legs and hips and sometimes when I stand up to walk my feet hurt as well.
It seems to get worse after taking my dog for a walk and also when trying to sleep. Can this be a result of the virus and should I be seen by a doctor?
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thank you for posting on HCM
From your description you are most likely having an infection and with the low grade fever which subsided suddenly points towards a viral infection. Per your presentation we could think of dengue fever, a flu (since no nasal discharge, congestion, head ache, cough rules out this), viral hepatitis (normally should present with yellow eyes, probably right hypochondrial pain), viremia etc. Other microorganisms could be responsible such as septic arthritis (joint pain and stiffness usually points toward this), acute pelvic inflammatory diseases (lower abdominal pain should be present), waist pain, dysuria, urinary frequency etc maybe among the symptoms) and other possible causes. If you recently traveled to a tropical zone, then we should be thinking of other tropical parasitic infections such as malaria etc.
Another possibility is autoimmune diseases (but fever should be recurrent) and presence of tumor etc. Your feet hurting could be as result of plantar fasciitis.
Because of your age and the possibility that you could be suffering from a more serious underlying diseases order than a viral infection, i will suggest that you pay a visit to a primary care doctor. You might require antiinflammatory medication now to manage the pain for a few days and if this persist then visiting a doctor should now be obligatory. Doing some blood tests will prove to be useful in determining the cause of your problem.

Hope this was helpful and wish you a better health
Dr Nsah