Fatty liver,hepatomegaly,Liv 52 tablets.Diet?

Today I have diagnosed with Liver Fatty Grade 2 with mild hepatomegaly. My age is 42 and I am non -alchohol. My height 5' 8" and weight is 89 kgs. Please advise, how can I bring back my liver to normal. I have started taking Liv 52 tablets. (Himalaya) 2 tablets thrice a day. Please adivse us on diet. Will it be o.k. I am also planning to do cycling - will it help. Or walking is best.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later

You have been diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease with grade 2 fatty liver. This is caused due to fat build up in the liver due to abnormal fat metabolism or excessive fat intake. There is no permanent medical or surgical cure for fatty liver. But you need to control the damage by following these measures:
1.Monitor your cholesterol, blood sugar, triglycerides levels regularly every 3 months and then when all the levels are under control you can get it checked once in 6 months or as advised by your doctor. Control them with diet and medication like hypolipidemic drugs which would be prescribed by your doctor.
2.Controlled weight loss(Around 10 kgs in a year). Avoid sudden weight loss as this leads to metabolic complications in future.
3.Follow physical activity like brisk walking(start with a speed of 6 km per hr and then gradually increase the distance).
4.See a dietitian to make a diet chart according to your BMI, weight and height.
5.Avoid fatty food. Increase XXXXXXX leafy vegetables,whole grain food and fruits.
6.Eat a balanced diet.
7.Continue liv 52 tablets as advised by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Follow-up: Fatty liver,hepatomegaly,Liv 52 tablets.Diet? 5 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I am taking 1 and a half glass of XXXXXXX juice daily since the age of 19. Shall I continue. I do take banana, Kharbooja. From today I have started taking Papaya also. What are the other fruits and vegetables which helps in dealing with Liver diseases.

What about the boil egg. Can I take one or two in the evening. I do not take tea, coffee or milk. I drink one liter of water daily in the morning - empty stomach.

I have not diagnose with Diabetic nor I have a parental history of Diabetese. I have a controlled Cholesterol but towards the higher side of the staturary values as mentioned in the form. Any particular diet to control cholestrol.

thanks once again for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 38 minutes later

Well,there is no restriction on food but you have to control intake.

I believe that you can eat what you want but in moderation.
1.Drink XXXXXXX warm water in the morning.
2.Drink at least 3-4 litres water in a day.
3.Fruits low in sugar are berries,papaya XXXXXXX orange,plum,etc...
4.Don't eat more than one egg a day.Its high in cholesterol.Avoid the yolk if possible.
5.Avoid carbohydrates in excess.
6.Whole grains are good.
7.Cut down on oil,fried stuff.
8.Food XXXXXXX in iron is good like leafy vegetable,roots etc.

Hope that helps.