Fatigue, joint pain, anemic, restless leg syndrome, bruising easily. Any ideas what this could be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have been experiencing fatigue and pain in joints, such as fingers, wrists, ankles, etc. Was recently diagnosed as being mildly anemiec. I also suffer from restless leg syndrome and am on ropinerole 1mg. My latest symptoms include bruising easily, some of which are not painful, however I currently have bruising on my inner elbow that is painful. Any ideas what this could be?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Spontaneous bleeding from small blood vessels under the skin can cause appearance of spontaneous bruising either painful or with negligible pain. The cause can be varied, like a minor vitamin c deficiency, side effects of some drugs or platelet or coagulation disorders.

Since you also have joint pains, there is also a possibility of underlying connective tissue disorder or bleeding / hemorrhagic disorder.

Since you have been diagnosed as anemic, I assume you might have undergone some baseline blood tests like CBC (complete blood counts). If yes, then kindly upload the reports, so that I may narrow down the possibilities. If no, then kindly consult your physician and get baseline investigations like CBC, ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), coagulation and liver profile done.

Remember if you are taking any medications along with Ropinirole like anticoagulants, aspirin, etc., there are increased chances of bleeding.

Hope I have been helpful. Should you have any more concerns/doubts, post them to me; I will gladly assist you. And do not forget to upload the reports which I mentioned earlier. You can upload the reports here or mail them to my attention (attn Dr. Hema Yadav) at YYYY@YYYY