Fall asleep. Mind wakes up. Eyes open. What can be done? Help?

hi. i have had this happen a few times and im very worried. i have been asleep and my mind wakes up! i can move my eyes but thats it. i cant move my body or talk at all for what seems along time. please help
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 29 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The possibilities can range from complex partial seizure disorder, night terror, narcolepsy, panic attack to others

Kindly clarify the following:

1. Are you taking any psychotropics for panic attacks and anxiety, in addition to endone, if so details of dose, duration etc

2. Do you take any addictive substances like alcohol etc

3. When had you been operated for gallbladder

4. Do you have any family history or past history of seizure disorder / head injury/ high blood pressure / any cardiac problem

5. Have you done any investigations like thyroid function test / ECG etc

Knowing answers to above will help me to address your concern in a more professional manner

I will await your response
Follow-up: Fall asleep. Mind wakes up. Eyes open. What can be done? Help? 2 hours later
no seizures history at all in family or head injury. no blood pressure issues. no pills for anxiety or panic disorder. i have had a ecg a echocardiogram a cardio stress test and ultrasound of the heart which was all fine. all blood tests were perfect. i had my gallbladder removed on 30 april this year. i was reading about sleep paralysis so i was thinking it might be that.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 44 minutes later
Thank you for the response

I agree with you, sleep paralysis could be a possibility. This can be confirmed by by a test called Polysomnography.

Nonetheless, Panic disorder (repeated panic attacks at least 4 times a month) can also give rise to such symptoms

It seems unlikely to be related to removal of gallbladder

In addition, doing a thyroid hormone test would help

Whatever the condition as mentioned above, all are treatable. No need to worry

Consulting a sleep medicine specialist should help