Experiencing weird twitching or pulsating under lower left rib cage. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
Question
I'm 33 year old male and 6"3 200 pounds 20 body fat no family history of heart problems I have been experiencing weird twitching or pulsating just on under my lower left rib age heart rate normal. Sensation seems to be more bothersome while lying down it does not cause any kind of pain but it has been hanging around for a couple of days I workout everyday just wondering if its muscle or something else thanks
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There can be couple reasons of such sensations. Lower left rib cage or upper left abdomen is a place where there is heart, spleen, descending colon and stomach. So such symptoms might be caused by heart problems (even if you find your heart beating regularly), large intestine problems, stomach problem, intercostal neuralgia or as you suggested some muscles problems as well. As you find it painless, stomach problems are less probable. It is advisable for you to have heart ECG (some arrhythmias can not be palpated), abdominal ultrasound, fool blood work with ions levels (Magnesium or Calcium shortage can cause muscles uncontrolled spasms and nerves related pains). Abdominal ultrasound will additionally rule out aortic aneurysm which can cause such pulsation as well.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing weird twitching or pulsating under lower left rib cage. What is causing this? 45 minutes later
Our there any other signs of AAA as now I'm worried I have felt similar sensations before I other parts of body they have gone away it more twitching full blood work came back normal 3 months ago I'm not in pain and I have energy

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Aortic aneurysm can give no symptoms, there can be only pulsating tumor in abdominal area, sometimes abdominal pain. In most cases it gives no symptoms in early stages and when gets big enough, it gives abdominal pain. Simple abdominal ultrasound will rule it out.
If you feel similar sensations in other parts of your body it can be muscles problem caused by mentioned ions shortage. You can check your blood for this ions levels and try to supplement this ions.

Regards.

Follow-up: Experiencing weird twitching or pulsating under lower left rib cage. What is causing this? 1 hour later
I went to the family doc 6 months ago for some palpitations I was having he gave me a EKG results came back borderline but he was not worreid and said they were borderline good blood work was okay too and palps went away what I'm having now does not feel like palps at all I'm taking probiotic everyday could that have something to do with it. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later
Hello!

Well, it can be a symptom of some disease but it also can be nothing. But definitely it has nothing with probiotic intake. I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound and ions blood levels. You can also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day. It can be very helpful in such symptoms.

Hope this will help.
Regards.