Ask a Dentist   »  

Experiencing tooth ache. Root canal done. Reason for headache, nausea, fever and bloating?

Jul 2016

I have not been feeling well for well over a week. On 2/6 I went into see my doctor for a tooth ache that was causing a severe earache and headaches. I had been experiencing headaches, throbbing tooth and earache off and on for the previous several weeks. It stated becoming more bothersome. She had told me that I may just need to have a recent (~6 months ago) crown. She did some adjusting. It felt slightly better for a couple days then started waking me up at night. I returned to the dentist 2/11. My back molar was abscess with a crack along the back gum line. A root canal with a temporary filling were done. I continued to feel nauseous, very fatigued have a pounding migraine with bt 99-103 fevers. I called to ask if I could have an infection and need antibiotics. I received a prescription for Penicillin 500 mg 4X for 10 days. With no improvements to my condition I went in to walk in care on Thursday to see if something else could be wrong. I have been home sick all week. I am still nauseous, slight headache, current fever is 102.8, my abdomen feels boated, I have a pain in my right side slightly to the back and I feels very achy. During the early part of the week I would frequently wake dripping wet as I believe my fever may have broke. All of which I noted to the Dr. on Thursday, who told me to follow my dentists instructions and since I was not coughing she didn't feel it was influenza. I started to feel slightly better over the weekend and did ok until late this afternoon. I began to get extremely nauseous, headache, bloated with difficult painful gas. I fell asleep and woke up dripping wet with a 104 fever. I have also been taking ibuprofen and have a scrip from dentist for Tylenol 3. . I can feel the heat coming off my head/face.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 16 minutes later
Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you definitely have some infective focus most probably in the tooth.
Since you do have insulin resistance, the infection could have flared up so we would need to get your Blood Sugar level tested to know the status of the blood glucose levels. We would need a total and differential WBC count as well to know the exact status.
We would also need to give you a prescription of a stronger antibiotic like cefotaxime to get a hold on the infection.
You can get the prescription of these drugs from your dentist and request him/her to evaluate your problem properly
Hope this helps
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.